Located at 11 - 20th Street East, the building was constructed in 1914 and was the St. Vital School until 1974, after which it was given to the Town.
In 1980 it became the Fred Light Museum and in
1985 the building was designated as a Municipal Heritage Property.
The Fred Light Museum is named after the founder of the museum who was a member of a pioneer Mounted Police family. He had devoted many years to the collection of artifacts. This collection combined with artifacts donated by interested individuals offers a glimpse of old Battleford.
The Fred Light Museum Features:
The Gun Room
One of the most comprehensive collections of firearms in all of Western Canada.
The School Room
The "School Room" houses a collection of old local school desks, maps, books and photographs.
Ye Olde General Store
The "Store Room", dear to the hearts of older visitors, is a replica of an old General store.
The Battleford Room
Here one can see late nineteenth to early twentieth century furniture, farm tools, mail boxes and a display of fire
This is an area utilizing the expansive room at the top of the building offering an excellent view of the town, the National Historic Site and the Government Site. This room houses a large variety of uniforms and accessories from the two World Wars and 1885 Rebellion.
Hours of Operation
|May long weekend to August 21
||9:00am - 8:00pm daily
|August 25 to September 1
||9:00am - 6:00pm daily
|September 1 to October 1
||9:00am - 4:00pm daily
||By appointment only
To book an appointment, please contact the Town of Battleford at (306) 937-6200.